United Arab Emirates University
Al Ain, UAE
Delivering on the research intensive mission with technology as a key driver
UAEU, the oldest and largest higher educational institution in the UAE, has consolidated all of its existing facilities into one single state-of-the-art campus that is located in Al-Maqam in the city of Al Ain. As it is considered the apex of higher learning & research institution, it aimed to gear up for its 20,000 students, researchers & faculty housed in 65+ Academic buildings and 20 Residential buildings.The size of the new campus is 1.20 km2. And features approximately 290,000m2 of newly built, state-of-the-art teaching and recreational facilities, including accommodation for students. The campus is designed to minimize the use of vehicles, walking distances and features dedicated research labs and academic spaces, a library along with sports, dormitories, leisure and student activities amenities.
Visionaire’s responsibility on this project extends to Design, Build and Operating the campus ICT. The vision for the integrated technology is one that offers seamless delivery of instructional requirements using a next generation convergent network infrastructure. Visionaire challenge also covered the areas of Technology Design and Integration, a Tier III class Data Center,Services Design, IP Tv, Digital Signage, Lecture Capture,Cloud based Content Delivery,Intelligent Instructional Technology – all under the guiding principle of Green Technology implementation. Another challenge was to deliver and fast track the project in less than 6 months.
Visionaire adopted the use of green ICT as a key element in the technology design, build and integration of the campus’ data center as well as best-of-breed integrated ICT service oriented infrastructure coupled with its strong foundation in system integration.
- Less than 5 months fast track deployment of 30+ buildings with 17,000 active network ports / 1500+ access points / 500+ classrooms AV / 210 IDF’s / 26 MDF’s / UPS infrastructure
- Integrated WAN / LAN with more than 37,000 active ports and more than 4500 wireless access points
- First to create and deploy cloud based delivery portals to UAEU classrooms.
- Virtual Desktop Thin-Client Infrastructure
- Integrated Video Conferencing with IP Telephony Solution & Desktop VC
- Data Center Design / SAN / Storage / Data Migration
- 22 IT Labs with 8.5 Teraflops Supercomputer
- Real Time Passive Network Monitoring / Network Operations
The UAEU campus is truly high performance with a scalable next generation network supporting IPTV, Voice, Video, Data with Real Time intelligent infrastructure management and content delivery via VDI delivered from a Tier III standards Data Center. Technology Enhanced Learning in classrooms, labs, lecture rooms and other spaces provides a highly convergent integrated ICT architecture.